Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Clearing by Heather Davis Review

The Clearing
by Heather Davis
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Synopsis: Amy, a sixteen-year-old recovering from an abusive relationship, moves to the country to start a new life with her aunt–all she wants is for everything to be different. In the clearing at the back of Aunt Mae’s property, she makes an amazing discovery—Henry, a boy stuck in the endless summer of 1944. Henry and his world become Amy’s refuge and she begins to learn that some moments are worth savoring. But when the past and present come crashing together, both of them must find the courage to face what is meant to be, even if it means losing each other forever.



The Clearing by Heather Davis 
Review by Me
5 Squees/5 Squees

I don't even know how to begin this review. When I read the synopsis of this book, I thought it sounded really strange. It seemed different though, and I like different. I loved this book from the beginning. The character of Amy is just so relate-able. She is a realistic girl who is going through real and painful things.  She goes to get away from things and ends up meeting Henry. Henry is that good, respectable, country boy that EVERY girl dreams about. He couldn't be more perfect.  I love that even though he seemed so perfect for Amy, Heather Davis made him have problems too. I love that both characters have to struggle through a lot of things and their outcome isn't necessarily the happy fluffy one that is expected in books of this genre.  I really enjoyed all characters in this book, down to Aunt Mae's dog.  The author really made this world she created realistic, while still making it interesting and exciting.  I love the outcome of the book, even though it wasn't my ideal ending. I really like where Heather Davis took this story and how she made it possible and believable all the way through the last page.  I was happy for everyone in the end and I loved that things turned out the way they did. Makes you curious huh? You'll have to check this one out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment