Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's Almost Valentine's Day.

I got into a conversation with my mom yesterday about Valentine's Day and I wanted to bring it up here a little bit.  Sunday is Valentine's Day.  I really don't care.  My mom was appalled by the fact that I really didn't get excited about Valentine's Day and I wasn't expecting any special treatment from my husband on Sunday.  To be honest I'd prefer he didn't do anything special.  We might go to dinner, but that's about all I'm asking for.  Why do I not like Valentine's Day, you may be asking yourself.  It's not really that I don't like it, ok maybe it is that I don't like it, but let me explain.

I worked at Hallmark for over a year and I got to experience Valentine's Day (and many other holidays) from the perspective of the company that knows it well.  I got sick of watching husbands/boyfriends/sons and any other title you want to give there come in on the day of big holidays, Valentine's Day in particular and freak out because they hadn't gotten anything for that special someone.  Most of the time we were out of most things and they ended up scraping the bottom of the barrel.  Now I'm not trying to guy bash here, women are at fault too, but it was mostly men I saw doing this.  I came to the realization that I don't want my husband to ever feel "obligated" to love me.  Why should we only tell our loved ones how we feel about them once a year?  It's not like we're really celebrating anything major on Valentine's Day, it's just become a day for card shops to rack in big bucks.  It's what we liked to call in the industry a "Hallmark Holiday".   Now I know this isn't the case in every relationship, but why do you only buy gifts and love on your spouse during the holidays?  You should be doing this all the time, every day even.

This may be coming off as a single ladies rant, but I'm not single.  I'm happily married and have been with my husband for 8 years this coming April.  I just hate seeing love thrown around so haphazardly.  Go ahead celebrate Valentine's Day, tell your loved one how you feel and shower them with gifts, but don't do it only once a year.  Tell them every day, I bet your relationship will thrive because of it.

On that note, I'm done for today.  I didn't do anything exciting to write about.  I'm still reading Eclipse.  I'm about half way done.  See ya tomorrow. :)

Today is "Anything Can Happen Day." Your Inner Bad Girl wants you to be open to possibilities today--and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment